The National Museum in Jos was commissioned in 1952 by Bernard Fagg, a British archaeologist and museum curator, and is recognized as one of the best museums in the country.
It has one large exhibition hall and two smaller ones. The museum is renowned for its archaeology and its Pottery Hall has an exceptional collection of finely crafted clay artworks from all over Nigeria.
It is Nigeria’s first major museum of antiquities and the second museum established in the country (after the one in Esie, near Ilorin). The museum is home to some fine specimens of Nok terracotta heads and artifacts dating from between 500 BC and 200 AD.