The Plateau State Ministry of Health was created with a vision to ensure qualitative and affordable health care services to all people in Plateau State and till today the Ministry of Health has sustain its tempo in provision of basic health care services to people in Plateau State.
Ministry of Health in Plateau State is vested with the following statutory responsibility and they include the following;
- Policy formulation and implementation as it relate to health care delivery services I the state.
- Monitoring and evaluation of all planned activities in the health sector in the state
- Advises government and all other private organization on health related matters.
- Liaises with the federal ministry of health and international agencies on health issues for the benefit of the state.
Plateau State Ministry of Health is made up of seven departments all operating as one body to ensure good and better medical and health services;
- Planning ,Research and statistics
- Primary Health care and disease control
- Medical services
- Nursing services
- Pharmaceutical services
- Finance and supply
There are a total of 4 parastatals for the Ministry of Health in Plateau State and include the following;
- Hospital services management board (HSMB)- headed by a chief medical director(CMD)
- Plateau State (PLSSH) –headed by chief medical director
- Colleges of health technology Zawan and Pankshin each headed by a provost
- PLASVIREC –it should be noted that PLASVIREC was upgraded to the status of a parastatal under the ministry of health.
All programmes and projects by the Plateau State Ministry of Health is contained here.
In conjunction with European Union, Plateau State Ministry of health had received a facility from EU for drugs preservation and equally in 2004, it receive eighteen thousand, five hundred and twenty-eight (18,528) doses of anti-malaria drugs (Act & SP) were received from the Federal Ministry of Health which has being distributed to Government Medical center across the 17 Local Government Area’s in Plateau.
The Ministry of Health saw to the creation of Plateau State Specialist Hospital during David Jonah Jang administration in Plateau State in a bid to boost health care delivery and improve medical tourism.